The following workshops were recorded for your benefit. Feel free to review the information as you prepare to interact with representatives at our upcoming career fair! You will need to log in with your Caltech Access credentials to view the recordings.
Caltech Spring 2022 STEM Career Fair
Hosted on Next Steps Caltech (powered by Symplicity)
Our upcoming virtual career fair will be hosted on Next Steps Caltech! This platform does not have an integrated video chat system, but each representative will provide a link and instructions to their external video chat meeting place like Zoom or Webex. Attendees will join chat queues through Next Steps Caltech, then use the links provided to connect with the representatives.
Here are some important tips to keep in mind:
Before the Event
- Log into your Next Steps Caltech account to upload the resume you wish to share with employers and complete your "Chat" profile.
- Review Employers attending the fair and take note of the organizations you wish to speak with. Check back often as new organizations will be added daily/weekly until the day before the fair.
- Use a Stable Device - consider using a laptop or desktop that is resting on a desk or table. This ensures that your screen does not move while you are talking to the employer. If you decide to use your mobile device, find a way to prop it up so you don't need to hold it. Whatever device you choose to use, make sure the camera and microphone work, and that you are either plugged in or are fully charged, with several hours of battery life.
- Check Your Wi-Fi or Internet Connection - For the best experience in a video interview, you will need a steady and reliable Wi-Fi or internet connection with download and upload speeds of at least 2 Mbps to support video chats.
- Check Your Background and Lighting - scan your surroundings to make sure that things are neat and orderly. Try to have some light on you, so that the employer can see you when you are talking, but avoid having bright sunny windows directly behind you, otherwise your face may not show up on camera.
During the Event
- The platform does not support Internet Explorer, please use a different browser.
- Make sure you click the "Attend" button so that you can join chats.
- Set your Status to Online.
- You can speak to employers in 1-on-1 video chats by clicking on Join Queue. The employers you select will show up under Upcoming Chats along with estimated wait times. You can join up to 5 queues at once to maximize your number of video chats.
- Keep two windows open on your computer so you can monitor your chat notifications and join queues through Next Steps Caltech, and another to join video chats with representatives.
- When joining an employer chat, instead of downloading Zoom, Webex, GoToMeeting, etc., select the option to join the meeting online and it will be faster to join.
- If you have joined a queue, keep the virtual career fair window open on your screen so you will not miss a chat request from a representative.
- When it's your turn to video chat with a representative, you will see an alert pop up on the screen. Click on the alert to see instructions on how to join their video chat..
- Once you start a video chat with an employer, watch the timer which will count down from the maximum time to zero. When you are done with your video chat, click End Chat, and scroll down to view the Notes field so you can write notes of key information you want to keep.
- While you wait, you can join a group video chat with an employer by clicking on Group Chat. If you are in a group video chat, employers can still contact you for 1-on-1 video chats.
- If you need to step away for a short break, set your Status to Busy. Employers will not be able to invite you to video chat.
- If you need to leave the fair, set your Status to Offline. You will be removed from any queues that you are still waiting in, but be assured that those organizations will receive your resume if you have to leave early.
- If you need to reach a CAEL advisor during the event, click on Help and Information on the main career fair page. The message will include a link to a Zoom video chat room hosted by CAEL staff.
After the Event
- When the fair is over, you can access your notes, the representative's name/email, and use this information for thank you notes.
Please note, the student view of the demo starts at the 12:50 minute mark.