Virtual Career Fairs
January 29, 2021 – 10am to 3pm PST
The Career Development Center is happy to announce that the next virtual career fair will be held on January 29, 2021.
We are continuing our successful partnership with Harvey Mudd College for our next two Virtual Career Fairs. You will be able to recruit STEM students, postdocs, and alumni from Caltech, Harvey Mudd, and all of the Claremont Colleges (Claremont McKenna College, Pitzer College, Pomona College, Scripps College, Claremont Graduate University, and Keck Graduate Institute). That gives you access to 5,500+ STEM majors at EIGHT selective and diverse institutions!
Registration details are listed below.
Thursday, April 22, 2021 – 10am to 3pm PST
Registration information will be available in March 2021
Date and Time: TBD
Registration is now available on Handshake!
Friday, Jan. 29, 2021 from 10:00am to 3:00pm PST
Registration Form: https://app.joinhandshake.com/career_fairs/21461/
If you don't have a Handshake account, you can create one by following the employer link from this page. Please be sure you are connected to both Caltech (California Institute of Technology) and Harvey Mudd College on Handshake. Fee discounts are available for Alumni-owned companies*, please contact us if you plan to register so we can adjust the rate.
The fair will be hosted on a platform called Brazen, which has a robust system to easily accommodate video, audio, and text-based chats. They recently implemented improved queue features which allow employers and students to see the number of individuals in the queue, and for students, their place in the queue.
We look forward to hosting you at our virtual career fair. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us!
*Caltech or Harvey Mudd Alumni
- Add an email address to the "Drop-Off Notes" field. This is located at the bottom of the "Representatives" tab of your booth. This will allow students that didn't get a chance to speak with you to leave you a note (sent to that email address.) The email note will include the student's message, their profile, and resume.
- Make sure the content in your booth is updated! Students can see the booths before the event, so the sooner the content is there, the more time they have to review it. You can customize the Preview Content (view from the lobby) and up to three internal tabs – Home, Opportunities, and a Custom Tab (most commonly labeled "About Us", but it can be labeled anything that suits the company.)
- You can add as many representatives as you need to care for student chats in your booth. School will be in session during the career fair, so we expect that the lunch hour will be very busy. Please make sure you have enough coverage between 12pm – 1pm PDT (3pm – 4pm EDT.)
- If you (the booth owner) plan to participate in chats with students during the career fair, please add yourself as a representative.
- Admins will be monitoring booth queues during the event and alerting booth representatives if they have a lot of students waiting. If your representatives tell you that they need help, you may add more staff members as representatives during the event.
- Here's a tutorial from Brazen to show you how to brand a booth: https://support.brazenconnect.com/hc/en-us/articles/204328963-Complete-Your-Employer-Booth-in-6-Easy-Steps#content
- Here is a tutorial on how to add representatives (staff members responsible for chatting with students during the career fair): https://support.brazenconnect.com/hc/en-us/articles/221655387-How-do-I-add-representatives-to-a-booth-
- Live Booth Owner Trainings on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Tuesday Training Session
- Thursday Training Session
- On the day of the event, please log in and enter your booth when you're ready to chat with students. When the event is live, you will see a green button labeled "Chat." Click the button to begin engaging in 1-on-1 chats with participants in line for your booth.
- You will be automatically connected to students waiting in the booth to chat. If nothing happens after you click the green chat button and your status is "waiting to chat", that just means there are no participants waiting in line.
- All chats begin as a text chat. Only representatives can initiate a video chat. You can start a video chat by clicking the video icon in the box near the top right of the screen. - Online Chatting 101
- Since all connections begin as text chats, it would be a good idea to have a list of common questions or answers to questions (from participants) ready to copy and paste.
- If your internet, or the participant's internet is having a hard time supporting the video chat, you can easily continue the conversation using text chat. This may happen depending on the internet connection on either end.
- Chats have a set limit of 10 minutes. You can extend the chat or end it before the time limit expires. If you would like to extend the chat, please look for specific minute extension options to pop up on the screen (orange buttons near the bottom of the text chat box.) To end the chat early, click the red "End This Chat" button.
- Once the chat has ended, you will be asked to select a "Next Step".
- If you need to step away from your computer during the event, please deactivate your "chat session" by clicking the "Cancel" button, or by toggling off the switch under "Manage Your Chats" located in the left-hand panel. The best time to do this is while you're completing the "Next Step" form at the end of your last chat. Toggle off your availability so you are not automatically connected to the next person once you click "Finished" on the "Next Step" form. Don't forget to switch it back on when you're ready to resume chatting with participants.
- Admins will be monitoring booth queues during the event and alerting representatives if they have a lot of participants waiting for their booth. If you see that message, please wrap up your chats a bit quicker. If you need help, reach out to your booth owner, they may add more representatives during the event.
- After the event is over, you can access information on your chats with participants by logging into your account and click "View History" from the event info.
- When downloading resumes, it is best to save them to your computer first, then open that copy. In some cases, downloads opened in a browser directly from Brazen are not formatted properly.
- Here is a tutorial created by Brazen for representatives. This should help you with the registration process and give you an overview of how to connect with students during the event: https://support.brazenconnect.com/hc/en-us/articles/206502228-How-do-I-participate-in-the-live-event-as-a-representative-
- Here's a direct link for the video tutorial: https://support.brazenconnect.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043674073-Booth-Representative-Training-Video
- Live Rep Trainings on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Tuesday Rep Training
- Thursday Rep Training
Cancellation Policy: Any cancellations must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the date listed in your confirmation email.
No-Show policy: Career Fair "no-shows" are not entitled to transfers or refunds at any time. No-shows forfeit their entire registration fee and materials, and are not eligible to roll the registration package over to another event. To avoid being considered a no-show, please email email@example.com and cancel no later than the date specified in your confirmation email.
The Career Development Center reserves the right to change career fair policies, procedures, and rates as needed.